Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Spring Soup for the Allergy-prone Soul


In a snap I have gone from sympathizer to sufferer: the allergies have hit. Since my mother is far from here, the next best solution to fixing a sore throat is to fix a bowl of soup. In my fridge I've got greens, greens, and more greens, and I'm in a race to polish them off before I go back to the market tomorrow! So, spring soup.

Here's what I came up with on the fly:
1/2 purple onion, diced and sautéed in a little olive oil
1 cube vegetable boullion
2 c. water

I let this all simmer while I washed the following:
1/2 c. fresh flat leaf parsley
1/2 a bundle of arugala (about 1 c. when chopped)
2 c. chopped baby spinach leaves
4 scallions

I chopped up the greens, added them to the boiling stock, let it all cook down for a few minutes, and voila! lunch. I'm feeling better already.

No comments: